Thursday, August 9, 2001
NINETY YEARS AGO -- 1911
Work on the Portland-Hood River roadway, started in Multnomah County, has not been allowed to languish and a goodly stretch of the road has already been placed in use near Portland. Autoists in Portland are enthusiastic over the prospect of having one of the most scenic roads in American once it is completed.
A coming event of widespread interest on the west side is the dedication of the new Oak Grove church. The dedication service will feature speaker Rev. H. Edgar Greening, pastor of Wesley Memorial Church in Spokane.
B.B. Pratt and H.J. Ramsey, experts in the pomological offices of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, were at Hood River last week for the purpose of making a close study of the local situation regarding fruit storage and transportation problems.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO -- 1921
A several piece orchestra will provide music during the dinner hours at a special entertainment at the Columbia Gorge Hotel in late August.
Picric acid, one of the products of the late war, is to be put up in six ounce cartridges and sold to farmers of the country where it can be used to take the place of dynamite. It will do the work of one-half again as much dynamite.
W.B. McGuire has built a dairy which is said to be one of the most modern in the state, with cement floors and a number of fresh air ducts and exhausts for fouled air.
VERBATIM -- Sept. 8, 1922
"Local officers have merry chase
Sheriff Johnson and his deputies were out still hunting in the wild woods of Trout Creek last Saturday night. They had been tipped off that a big still was in operation "somewhere in the territory" and they left Hood River with big hopes of trailing it easily. But when they arrived on the spot they found themselves on the outer edge of one of the worst jungles in the county. But they were out to find the still, and find it they did, somewhere around the late hours of Saturday night. Three of the officers, in trying to cross the ditch on a down sapling, fell into the icy waters, but as they had to fight their way through the brush they did not have any opportunity to get cold. When they located the still, it was evident that somebody had also tipped off the moonshiners, who had removed nearly all the mash, but had left the still and worm. The officers believe the still had been in operation for some time because they located the place where quantities of mash had been buried. UP to the present no arrests have been made, but the officers believe they can locate the owner of the still."
SEVENTY YEARS AGO -- 1931
Robert Bennett, son of Mr. and Mrs. L.A. Bennett, and Max Calandra, have returned home from a two-week vacation spent on the Columbia River in a 14-foot canoe. The boys journeyed from Hood River to Astoria and back, portaging around the rapids at Cascade Locks on the way down. On the way back, they were given a ride through the locks on a MacGowen fish boat.
The Rife Motor Company is attracting much attention among the motoring public with the showing of the new DeVaux sedan. The car develops more than 70 horsepower and has an astonishing pickup from 5 to 55 mph in 19 seconds, and a speed of 70 or 80 when required.
SIXTY YEARS AGO -- 1941
Hood River will play host to about 500 motorized units and about 1,700 officers and men who belong to the 216th Coast Artillery this week. The army column will camp here on their way to extensive war games in Washington.
It was a sudden change in plans for Venette Gardner and Corporal Richard Duckwall of the 58th Quartermaster Corps when the latter received orders to leave for faraway Alaska Aug. 14. So, finding he could have a couple of days' furlough, the wedding scheduled Sept. 14 was moved forward to Saturday evening, Aug. 9.
FIFTY YEARS AGO -- 1951
Workmen hoisted the head plate of a 250-ton hardboard press onto its platform at the Oregon Lumber Company's new hardboard plant at Dee this week, set to go into operation this fall. In conjunction with the new water plant, a huge water tank has been installed on Gilhooley Mountain which holds one million gallons of water and is to be used for fire protection.
The state highway commission has released a drawing which shows how future traffic will pass Hood River on the new watergrade Columbia River Highway. Included in the plans are a new overpass to be constructed over the north end of Second Street, a new bridge over the Hood River, and extended overpass on the interstate bridge approach and a cloverleaf for traffic from the bridge, the new highway and Mt. Hood Loop Highway.
FORTY YEARS AGO -- 1961
Ray T. Yasui, Hood River orchardist, has been named a member of the governor's advisory committee on workmen's compensation.
The Port of Hood River received word today that contracts with the U.S. Navy that will make the Port owner of the U.S.S. Banning as a permanent display ship in the Hood River boat basin are ready for the commissioners' signatures. The contract specifies that the Port will keep the ship in a "fitting condition and manner to the Navy."
THIRTY YEARS AGO -- 1971
Jyme W. Stoner, assistant vice president and marketing manager of the U.S. National Bank of Oregon's eastern region, has been named manager of the bank's Hood River and Hood River Heights branch offices.
County Planning Commissioners recommended a major project for the improvement of the Hood River airport. Their action was based on a State Board of Aeronautics review recommending investment of some $29,000 in repairs and $44,000 to extend and improve the runways.
The 50-space parking lot across from the post office was officially opened this week when Mayor Bill Pattison clipped the ribbon at the entrance of the property. It is the first public off-street parking lot of its type in Hood River and it was full the day after opening.
TWENTY YEARS AGO -- 1981
Frankton Primary School, targeted for closure by administrative recommendation this year because of shrinking enrollment in the district, won at least a temporary reprieve last week. The school will open as usual when classes begin Aug. 31, and the case will be reviewed again in October.
TEN YEARS AGO -- 1991
With check in hand, the Port of Hood River has relinquished Wells Island to the Trust for Public Lands.
Hood River City Council approved a resolution to adopt the design for the Second Street overpass project Monday after a public hearing.
Malibu, Curtis Salgado and the Stilettos, the Dan Palmer Trio, Morning Star and Scott Cossu will all perform today at the fourth annual Hood River Apple Jam Music Festival.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Building dedicated at fairgrounds in 1987
- YESTERYEARS: Rotary becomes ‘fully-fledged organization’ in 1927
- Yesteryears: Odell’s ‘long-looked-for and much wished-for waterworks system’ under construction in 1927
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- YESTERYEARS: City jail resembles ‘secondhand store’ in 1936
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge