Thursday, August 9, 2001
Although there is a tremendous backlog for medical appointments at the VA Hospitals, I strongly suggest all veterans' complete applications for enrollment. The VA offers a comprehensive plan of health care services with no monthly premiums. And, depending on your income, there may be no or a low co-payment. Medications prescribed and dispensed through the VA are at a greatly reduced rate. You may call the Application Toll-Free Hotline at 1-877-222-8387 and they will send you an application form. Forms and additional information are also available at my office. Please have a copy of your DD-214 (Discharge Papers) available for service verification purposes.
Volunteer Drivers Recognized
Transportation provided to the many veterans to and from the Portland and Vancouver Medical Centers has been in place for over a year. The program started with one volunteer driver and one vehicle. We now have four drivers and two vehicles. Thanks for the many hours, dedication and assistance given by volunteer drivers: John, Roark, Skip and Bill. You have made this greatly needed service possible.
Veterans Honored by France
Veterans who served on French soil during World War II and had applied to the French Government for the "Thank You America"certificate will be properly honored. The Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs held a ceremony at the State Fairgrounds in Salem Thursday. Approximately 300 Oregon Veterans requested the certificate. Applications are still available at my office or on the French Embassy's website at http://www.info-france-usa.org. Further ceremonies will be scheduled at later dates.
The Veterans Service Office is located at 600 E. Marina way (DMV Building). Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed noon to 1:30 p.m.) on Mondays and Thursdays, telephone 386-1080.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge