Friday, August 17, 2001
Oregon author Ellen Howard, will present a writer's workshop at the Hood River County Library on Sept. 23, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Howard has written 15 books and several short stories for children and young adults. Her books have been translated into six foreign languages and have received numerous awards. Among Howard's awards are the Oregon Book Award, Parents' Choice Gold Award, International P.E.N. and the Golden Kite Honor Award.
The Smithsonian named "The Gate In The Wall" a Notable Book for Children in 1999, "Sister" was an American Library Association Notable Book for Children, "Her Own Song" and "Gate" were also Junior Library Guild Selections.
Howard and her husband live in Salem and she maintains a position as a faculty member of the MFA Program in Writing for Children at Norwich University in Vermont.
She also serves as a regional advisor of the Oregon and Michigan chapters of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.
Pre-registration and the $35 fee are required for the workshop. Registration forms are now available at the Hood River County Library. The library will be closed from noon to 1 p.m. to allow for a lunch break.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge