Friday, August 17, 2001
Oregon author Ellen Howard, will present a writer's workshop at the Hood River County Library on Sept. 23, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Howard has written 15 books and several short stories for children and young adults. Her books have been translated into six foreign languages and have received numerous awards. Among Howard's awards are the Oregon Book Award, Parents' Choice Gold Award, International P.E.N. and the Golden Kite Honor Award.
The Smithsonian named "The Gate In The Wall" a Notable Book for Children in 1999, "Sister" was an American Library Association Notable Book for Children, "Her Own Song" and "Gate" were also Junior Library Guild Selections.
Howard and her husband live in Salem and she maintains a position as a faculty member of the MFA Program in Writing for Children at Norwich University in Vermont.
She also serves as a regional advisor of the Oregon and Michigan chapters of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.
Pre-registration and the $35 fee are required for the workshop. Registration forms are now available at the Hood River County Library. The library will be closed from noon to 1 p.m. to allow for a lunch break.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge