Wednesday, December 12, 2001
The Hood River Valley wrestling team took second place out of eight teams at the Hermiston Invitational on Saturday, finishing with six finalists and two individual champions.
Tommy Owyen won the 275-pound class with an impressive 6-3 win over No. 1 state-ranked Tyler Hartsteen of Hermiston by twice using his patented side roll.
Owyen won at Hermiston for the second straight year, but coach Mark Brown won’t allow his wrestlers to become overconfident.
“The rankings are fun to read, but really don’t mean that much,” he said. “In this sport, you better be ready each time you take to the mat.”
HRV’s other individual champ was 130-pounder Rocky Level, who appears poised to take on the state’s best after just two meets.
John Harvey, the team’s top 145-pounder, took second place, along with Trent Shelton (152), Esteban Avila (119) and Caleb Smith (125). David Posey finished third in the 135-pound class, and Brown was complimentary of his effort.
“David could have let the loss affect him, but he shook it off and showed why he is a champion,” he said. “He’s very supportive of his teammates and is like another assistant coach in our program.”
Other top finishers for HRV were Jason Macioroski (third, 171), Nate Dethman (third, 189), De Jay Cannon (third, 112), Zach Bohince (fourth, 103), Jason DeHart (fourth, 160), Jacobe Krizman (fourth, 171), Cody Cataldo (fourth, 140).
Felipe Magana (145) and Matt Cody (215) won their weight classes in the Varsity II competition.
More like this story
- Vandalized sign prompts security precautions at CL School Friday
- Death Notices for Oct. 1: Jack Stone, Jack Stone, Viola Wells, and Gerald Culp
- Service Announcement for Oct. 1: Calvin Peck
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge