Wednesday, December 19, 2001
I took a look at the "petition" signed by 1,600 Wal-Mart shoppers the other day. Quite an eye opener. Considering thousands of people per day shop there, I wonder about you other folks, you Wal-Mart shoppers who didn't or wouldn't sign the petition. I want to know more about you.
How many of you almost vomited on the spot at the very thought of signing the Wal-Mart petition? How many of you avoided the petitioners so the marketing and PR guys back in Arkansas wouldn't get your names in their database? How many of you didn't realize that by signing a petition in which you agreed that you "would like to shop at a new Wal-Mart Supercenter" the company would distort your expressed opinion into "I want an even bigger Wal-Mart and I don't care what the hell happens to this town?" Is it no accident that over half of the signers left out of town addresses?
Come on Wal-Mart, we're not that dumb. That you're here at all was a major concession. Let's hold it at your present capacity, which exceeds the proposed big box ordinance. Even if you lose your attempt to trash our historic downtown with one of your outlying supercenters, no one will ever be bigger than you. Does your greed know no limits?
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge