Wednesday, December 19, 2001
I took a look at the "petition" signed by 1,600 Wal-Mart shoppers the other day. Quite an eye opener. Considering thousands of people per day shop there, I wonder about you other folks, you Wal-Mart shoppers who didn't or wouldn't sign the petition. I want to know more about you.
How many of you almost vomited on the spot at the very thought of signing the Wal-Mart petition? How many of you avoided the petitioners so the marketing and PR guys back in Arkansas wouldn't get your names in their database? How many of you didn't realize that by signing a petition in which you agreed that you "would like to shop at a new Wal-Mart Supercenter" the company would distort your expressed opinion into "I want an even bigger Wal-Mart and I don't care what the hell happens to this town?" Is it no accident that over half of the signers left out of town addresses?
Come on Wal-Mart, we're not that dumb. That you're here at all was a major concession. Let's hold it at your present capacity, which exceeds the proposed big box ordinance. Even if you lose your attempt to trash our historic downtown with one of your outlying supercenters, no one will ever be bigger than you. Does your greed know no limits?
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge