Wednesday, December 19, 2001
The Mid-Columbia Association of Realtors has named Mel Taylor of Don Nunamaker Realty in Hood River "Realtor of the Year."
The association, with 180 members from five Oregon and Washington counties in the Columbia Gorge, is the area's largest trade association, and is affiliated with both the Oregon and Washington Associations of Realtors.
Taylor moved to Hood River from Montana with her family in 1963. After serving in local schools as a substitute teacher and teacher, she began her career in real estate in 1969 with the then-Kingsley Realty. One year later, she joined Don Nunamaker Realty, where she has worked for 31 years.
Taylor was modest about the award. "I was shocked," she said. "I just try to look after the people."
Her selection as Realtor of the Year was the result of voting by committee of former Realtors of the Year and the Mid-Columbia Association of Realtors' general membership.
Jennifer Bickford, executive director of the association, explains that the purpose of the nonprofit organization is to promote good ethics and standards among people involved in real estate, and to offer them opportunities for industry education and information. The group annually selects a Realtor of the Year to honor one of their own for being exemplary.
Bickford noted that Taylor was cited by her peers for her high ethical standards, and for her involvement in, and service to the local community.
Taylor and her husband, Cliff, a math teacher and tutor, have five adult children, three of whom still live in the Hood River area -- including Joella Sellers, who recently followed in her mother's footsteps by becoming a sales associate with Don Nunamaker Realty.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge