Wednesday, November 7, 2001
Flags will raise today and this weekend in Veterans Day and other events around Hood River.
A new flag will go to the top of the staff at 12th and May streets today at 2:30 p.m. A ceremony will dedicate the flag purchased through fundraising by Webelos Den of Cub Scout Pack 798 to replace the one stolen from that location in mid-September.
The ceremony will be attended by county and city officials and the U.S. National Guard Armory in Hood River. Fund-raising was headed by Jesse Schull, 11, who said he felt the need to respond after the theft.
Sunday brings the annual Hood River Veterans Day ceremony, at 11 a.m. at Overlook Memorial Park, Second and State streets.
Assembly begins at 10:45 a.m. The 142nd Fighter Group is expected to do a flyover. Please be aware of the sudden noise that might accompany the flyover.
The Master of Ceremonies will be John Arens, Chairman of the Hood River County Board of Commissioners.
The American Legion Post 22 will be recognized, and colors presented by VFW Post 1479 of Hood River and VFW Post 6987, Parkdale, auxiliaries from the above units, along with Local Scout packs and troops.
As a special feature, Hood River actor Greg Gilbertson will recite a poem. Closing the ceremony, Taps will be played by Korean War veteran William Thompson.
The ceremony will also include dedication of a brick honoring Nisei Veterans, purchased by the American Legion Post 22.
Breakfast will be served at American Legion Post from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
More like this story
- Death announcements for Aug. 24: Elizabeth Jordan and Juanita Macdougall
- Public Records: Marriage permits, July 2016
- Pet of the Week: JellyBean is still waiting for his forever family
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- Cemetery Tales tickets go on sale
- Concerts at Timberline, Oneonta tunnel part of 10-concert Noack series
- Parks District narrows director search to two
- Talking about bags
- Heat advisory and fire alerts form double dose of late-August caution
- ‘Un Dia de Teatro’ — a free dance, music, theater event
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge