Wednesday, November 21, 2001
PINE GROVE -- On Sunday firefighters and family members celebrated the return of Old 66, the first pumper of the Pine Grove Fire District.
The 1948 Ford, with the original vehicle code of 66, was used for nearly 30 years, and eventually purchased by Bob Thomsen for a keepsake.
It's glossy red coat gleamed in the brief bit of sunshine to hit Pine Grove Sunday, as the department gathered in front of the station to dedicate the restored vehicle and thank the people who devoted time and resources to the project.
Several years ago Thomsen returned the truck to the department for restoration, after keeping it in storage for years. The department has been working on the truck for about three years, starting with a complete engine rebuild, then new paint and restored accessories.
"A lot of guys put a lot of work into this," said department safety officer Kenny Morikado. "It's quite an achievement."
Most of the assembly was done in Steve Bickford's packing house under the supervision of Steve and his brother, Don.
"I'm glad to have it done," Bickford said with a smile. He said work remaining includes restoring the pump and plumbing system on Old 66. That might have been done by now said the orchardist, "but the harvest came along."
Old 66 is not used for firefighting, but for parades and special events. It made its first parade appearance in 2000, with department veterans riding in rocking chairs.
Old-timers from the department posed along with current members for an official photo before a brief ceremony featuring family members of Shig Yamaki, who served the department for 46 years before his death in 1996. A large part of the $12,000 spent restoring Old 66 camd from Shig Yamaki's estate, Morikado said. Another large portion of the funding came from the department's annual auction, held in March. The 2002 edition will be the 37th.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge