Wednesday, October 3, 2001
The Hood River Billiards and Chess Club has opened at Horsefeathers Big Horse Brew Pub.
The grand opening party was scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2.
The club, initially to run on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, will feature two Brunswick Ventura tables clothed in Italian Granito cloth, as well as multiple chess sets, boards and clocks.
Cristy Barsky, 1982 New England Women's Chess Champion and 1997 VNEA International 9-Ball Champion, will be house professional. At the grand opening, Barsky and other special guests will do a trick shot and simultaneous chess exhibition.
Starting Oct. 3, the club will be open Tuesday through Thursday from 4 to 7 p.m. for drop-in play, challenge matches, and informal play. Handicapped 9 Ball tournaments will be on Tuesdays, handicapped 8 Ball tournaments on Wednesdays, and a chess tournament on Thursdays. On the last Saturday of each month there will be a daytime chess tournament from 11 to 4 p.m. The club will also provide parent/child, group and private lessons, as well as private and public functions.
The club hopes to attract players of all ages and skill levels. For information, call Barsky at 490-3124.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge