Wednesday, October 3, 2001
The Hood River Billiards and Chess Club has opened at Horsefeathers Big Horse Brew Pub.
The grand opening party was scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2.
The club, initially to run on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, will feature two Brunswick Ventura tables clothed in Italian Granito cloth, as well as multiple chess sets, boards and clocks.
Cristy Barsky, 1982 New England Women's Chess Champion and 1997 VNEA International 9-Ball Champion, will be house professional. At the grand opening, Barsky and other special guests will do a trick shot and simultaneous chess exhibition.
Starting Oct. 3, the club will be open Tuesday through Thursday from 4 to 7 p.m. for drop-in play, challenge matches, and informal play. Handicapped 9 Ball tournaments will be on Tuesdays, handicapped 8 Ball tournaments on Wednesdays, and a chess tournament on Thursdays. On the last Saturday of each month there will be a daytime chess tournament from 11 to 4 p.m. The club will also provide parent/child, group and private lessons, as well as private and public functions.
The club hopes to attract players of all ages and skill levels. For information, call Barsky at 490-3124.
More like this story
- Death notices for Oct. 22: Ellyn Kane, George Kimball, Kenneth Leibham and Barbara Pink
- Service Announcements for Oct. 22: Louise Neitch and Betty Johnson
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge