Wednesday, October 3, 2001
I have never written a letter to the editor before today, but I'm just about fed up with the price of gas around here. I just returned from a trip to Portland today. While I was there, I filled my truck up with regular unleaded for $1.59 per gallon. I drove to Hood River (took me about 45 minutes, not enough time for anything drastic to have happened) and found the gas prices here averaged from $1.89 per gallon on up to $2.09! And people wonder why we spend our money somewhere else whenever we have the chance? You can't convince me that it costs an extra 30 cents per gallon to get the gas another 61 miles. It's too bad that our local businesses have most of us over the barrel.
Aaron and Teresa Swafford
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge