Wednesday, October 3, 2001
I have never written a letter to the editor before today, but I'm just about fed up with the price of gas around here. I just returned from a trip to Portland today. While I was there, I filled my truck up with regular unleaded for $1.59 per gallon. I drove to Hood River (took me about 45 minutes, not enough time for anything drastic to have happened) and found the gas prices here averaged from $1.89 per gallon on up to $2.09! And people wonder why we spend our money somewhere else whenever we have the chance? You can't convince me that it costs an extra 30 cents per gallon to get the gas another 61 miles. It's too bad that our local businesses have most of us over the barrel.
Aaron and Teresa Swafford
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge