Wednesday, October 10, 2001
Two Hood River restaurants will participate in national "Dine for America" day Oct. 11. Shari's and the Red Carpet Inn will donate proceeds from sales that day to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund aimed at helping victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
The idea was conceived by a Seattle restaurant corporation shortly after Sept. 11 and, since then, more than 5,000 food service businesses across the country have joined the effort. The fundraiser is expected to bring in more than $8 million nationwide, with more than $50,000 coming from Oregon restaurants.
Oregon Restaurant Association president Mike McCallum said that responding establishments "have come from the entire cross section of Oregon's food and beverage industry, including fine dining and family casual establishments to fast food and bar-tavern-lounge businesses."
McCallum said that enlisting of more restaurant participants will continue in the coming days. Residents are encouraged to support participating restaurants on Oct. 11. A listing of all supporting restaurants can be found online at:
Local Girl Scout Troop No. 30 has organized "Babysitting for America" to raise money for victims of the terrorist attacks. Troop members offer babysitting for kids ages 2-8 on Friday nights from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 12 and continuing through mid-December at May Street Elementary School. They will provide crafts, games, healthy snacks, a G-rated movie and story time. Donations of $2 per hour will go to East Coast relief efforts. For information and reservations call Sandi Hansen at 386-2501 or Jo Ann Pollack at 387-3225.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge