Wednesday, October 17, 2001
Ralph Kirby and Allen Moore, both life-time residents of the Hood River Valley, will be honored as 2001 Diamond Pioneers by the Oregon State University College of Agricultural Sciences on Thursday in Corvallis.
The two men will be recognized for their lifetime contributions to agriculture, natural resources, OSU and their communities.
Kirby was cited particularly for his work with young people in Hood River County. He has dedicated his life to Hood River 4-H clubs, Boy Scouts of America and community involvement toward improving living standards of young and old.
As a 4-H leader, Kirby spent 50 years working with young people in the 4-H swine project. He has been a volunteer and leader for the Hood River County Fair. A trademark of his community work has been an annual scholarship dinner for graduating high school seniors.
Moore Orchards has been the focus of Allen Moore's work for the last 65 years. The family operation won the Oregon Farm Bureau's "Outstanding Family Farm" award in 1989. He served for 10 years on the Hood River County Extension Advisory Board and was actively involved with research conducted by the Mid-Columbia Agricultural Research and Extension Center.
Moore also has served as chair of the Hood River County Fair Board, as well as been a Hood River County commissioner and served on the County Unit School District board.
Kirby and Moore, along with 29 other men and women from around Oregon, will be honored at a luncheon hosted by Thayne Dutson, dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences at OSU. Their names will be added to the college's Diamond Pioneer Agricultural Achievement Registry, which was established in 1983.
More like this story
- Death notices for Oct. 22: Ellyn Kane, George Kimball, Kenneth Leibham and Barbara Pink
- Service Announcements for Oct. 22: Louise Neitch and Betty Johnson
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge