Wednesday, October 17, 2001
First Class Airman Kerri Williams, a 1999 graduate of HRV has recently been sent to Ramstein, Germany, and is involved with the shipment of the humanitarian packages being sent to Afghanistan.
Eric Dunn, also a 1999 HRVHS graduate, is a dental technician serving aboard the U.S.S. Carl Vinson in the Arabian Sea. He joined the Navy in May 1999. His parents are R. Dean and Linda Dunn of Hood River.
Williams is the daughter of Grant and Ginnie Mooney of Hood River and was home with her parents on leave from S. Korea on Sept. 11 when the World Trade Center was hit.
She immediately left for Germany and spent two weeks following her arrival being briefed on the situation. Kerri's job is classified as Air Traffic Management.
"We received a call from Kerri on Friday saying she is on a one-hour call out to leave for India where she will load the Humvees with tents and gear for the ground troops," said her mom.
"Kerri is optimistic and says the general feeling on base is positive. We are very proud of our little soldier."
Eric Dunn and Kerri Williams are just two examples of men and women of the armed forces who have recently been moved into place in the quickly-changing military campaign in South Asia. Hood River News welcomes word of local people serving overseas.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge