Wednesday, October 31, 2001
We would like to offer our sincerest thanks to the man who went to Chief of Police Anthony Dirks and asked him to give to us his father's flag, as our family's flag was desecrated. Since you chose to remain anonymous, we hope that you read this letter and know that we will always cherish your generous gift and protect it from harm. You are a truly remarkable human being for reaching out to us so, and your gesture has touched our whole family.
We would also like to thank our neighbors, Mitch and Barb Hosford and Rep. Greg Walden. Mitch and Barb contacted Rep. Walden and informed him of the recent flag thefts in our neighborhood; because of their action and the generosity of Rep. Walden, we now have a wonderful new flag to fly!
One last thank-you goes out to Chief Dirks. Because of your kind words and the actions of the people mentioned above, we have been reminded of what a wonderful town Hood River is, and we feel so fortunate to be surrounded by such a spirit of community!
Robert and Diana Knight
More like this story
- Fun at the CGWA Beach Bash
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
- Fire season is here: enjoy yourself, safely and legally
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge