Thursday, September 6, 2001
Please! I wish someone would tell me what the name Wal-Mart triggers in the minds of so many otherwise sane and sensible people. Is it that the sky is falling, apoplectic seizures, or maybe a full-blown Las Vegas casino?
After all, we've had a Wal-Mart store here for about nine years now and if I'm not mistaken all the same "hysterical allegations" were voiced then as now. Please excuse me, Dennis (Karnopp, Warm Springs Tribal attorney) for taking your quote out of context. And when the store has moved in and the dust had settled, life went on and no one was really hurt.
I'd bet that 90 percent of the pople in this valley have shopped in our Wal-Mart or are somewhere in the U.S. I'd venture to say that at least 50 percent of the local people are glad that Wal-Mart is here in town. And I'm sure that 99 percent of the Wal-Mart employees are glad they have the work, and that they pay better than McDonald's or Dairy Queen.
Ah! Maybe I answered my own question. Better pay?
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge