Tuesday, September 11, 2001
A Hood River teen was killed after running unexpectedly in front of a commercial truck on Interstate 84.
According to Oregon State Police (OSP) reports, Casey P. Walsh, 17, was struck by an eastbound semi-trailer when he ran into its path near mile post 62.
The commercial vehicle was driven by Deborah Schulte, 49, of Galena, Kan. OSP investigators said Schulte attempted to swerve from the right into the left lane to avoid the youth but was unable to prevent a collision when he suddenly moved into that passage.
The incident occurred about 2:45 a.m. on Sept. 8 and Schulte immediately pulled over toward the right-hand shoulder to stop after hitting Walsh. However, two other commercial vehicles and a passenger car were unable to see Walsh's body in the roadway and also ran over him.
OSP investigators believe Walsh died instantly when the first truck hit him. The local Trauma Intervention Team was called on to provide emotional support for the drivers involved in the incident.
Walsh resided in Hood River but had earned his GED and was not attending the local high school at the time of his death.
More like this story
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
- FILL THE BOOT
- 4-H Results, 2017 Hood River County Fair
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge