Tuesday, September 11, 2001
A Hood River teen was killed after running unexpectedly in front of a commercial truck on Interstate 84.
According to Oregon State Police (OSP) reports, Casey P. Walsh, 17, was struck by an eastbound semi-trailer when he ran into its path near mile post 62.
The commercial vehicle was driven by Deborah Schulte, 49, of Galena, Kan. OSP investigators said Schulte attempted to swerve from the right into the left lane to avoid the youth but was unable to prevent a collision when he suddenly moved into that passage.
The incident occurred about 2:45 a.m. on Sept. 8 and Schulte immediately pulled over toward the right-hand shoulder to stop after hitting Walsh. However, two other commercial vehicles and a passenger car were unable to see Walsh's body in the roadway and also ran over him.
OSP investigators believe Walsh died instantly when the first truck hit him. The local Trauma Intervention Team was called on to provide emotional support for the drivers involved in the incident.
Walsh resided in Hood River but had earned his GED and was not attending the local high school at the time of his death.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge