Tuesday, September 11, 2001
A Hood River teen was killed after running unexpectedly in front of a commercial truck on Interstate 84.
According to Oregon State Police (OSP) reports, Casey P. Walsh, 17, was struck by an eastbound semi-trailer when he ran into its path near mile post 62.
The commercial vehicle was driven by Deborah Schulte, 49, of Galena, Kan. OSP investigators said Schulte attempted to swerve from the right into the left lane to avoid the youth but was unable to prevent a collision when he suddenly moved into that passage.
The incident occurred about 2:45 a.m. on Sept. 8 and Schulte immediately pulled over toward the right-hand shoulder to stop after hitting Walsh. However, two other commercial vehicles and a passenger car were unable to see Walsh's body in the roadway and also ran over him.
OSP investigators believe Walsh died instantly when the first truck hit him. The local Trauma Intervention Team was called on to provide emotional support for the drivers involved in the incident.
Walsh resided in Hood River but had earned his GED and was not attending the local high school at the time of his death.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge