Tuesday, September 11, 2001
Jim Kelly, Hood River News publisher for the past 10 years, rides off to new horizons this week. Tom Lanctot, veteran publisher in Sunnyside, Wash., takes the Hood River News reins, effective Monday, as Kelly starts a new job with Brigham Young University.
"Let's saddle up," Kelly was well-known for saying when bringing people together.
The phrase suggested the start of a small adventure, and that kind of energy and creativity was just part of Kelly's legacy at Hood River News.
Jim Kelly had a deep love for the Hood River Valley, and a fondness for its history and its future. As Eagle President Dick Nafsinger (who will retire in October) said in a farewell gathering for Kelly Monday night, Kelly helped make the Hood River News a great community newspaper.
Kelly said Monday, "you can leave your possessions behind, but you take your friendships with you."
Jim Kelly will remain one of Hood River's greatest friends.
More like this story
- Library announces Odell bus service
- Learn the art of personal storytelling
- Steelhead, Chinook fishing clinic Feb. 27
- Help library win ‘Million Page Challenge’
- Church News: Nazarene’s install new pastor
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 6
- MAILS and Marijuana: Legislators right to work to stamp out a bad, old regulation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 6
- The Porch: Feb. 6
- ‘Pass The Pig’: HRVHS plans FFA Week events