Wednesday, April 3, 2002
Businesses that generate small amounts of hazardous waste will have the opportunity to dispose of that waste safely and legally at a collection event scheduled in Hood River on April 19. Pre-registered businesses and agencies can bring their local waste to a local site.
The collection is scheduled in conjunction with a household hazardous waste collection April 20 in Hood River and sponsored in cooperation with the City of Hood River and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. Hazardous waste from businesses and commercial agricultural operations cannot be accepted at household collections.
Businesses and other non-household facilities (government agencies and schools, for example) that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste (or less than 2.2 pounds of acutely hazardous waste) are qualified to participate. These are "conditionally exempt generators" or "CEGs" under state and federal hazardous waste regulations. Typical CEGs include automotive repair shops, machine shops, painting contractors, printers, schools and local government agencies. Common hazardous wastes generated by CEGs include paints and cleaning solvents.
Farmers, ranchers, growers and other businesses or agencies that generate waste pesticides can also participate, regardless of their generator categories. This is only for disposal of waste pesticides, including banned, outdated and unusable pesticides.
Costs may range from $3 per gallon to $7 per pound, depending on the type of waste. The fee for disposal of most pesticides will be $2.40 per pound. These costs are less than the typical fees charged by hazardous waste management firms for individual service.
Pre-registration with Philip Services Corporation, contractor for the event, is required. To register, please call Philip Services Corporation toll free at 1-800-547-2436. Once registered, Philip Services Corporation will call all participants for time and location of disposal.
For more information on hazardous waste disposal call the DEQ office in Bend at 541-388-6146 ext. 229 or 1-800-452-4011.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge