Wednesday, April 3, 2002
HOOD RIVER — The sunglasses and shorts were finally out Monday as the HRV girls tennis team cruised to an easy 6-2 victory over La Salle in the final tune-up before the conference season begins.
“Right now it’s important for us just to have court time,” said coach Barb Hosford, who traveled to Madras last weekend with six team members for a seven-team invitational. “These non-conference meets really help us prepare.”
HRV’s top two singles, Jodie Gates and Kerry Hart, both performed well at Madras, each winning three matches, and came out even stronger versus La Salle. Gates beat Kathryn Everest 6-2, 6-1, while Hart cruised to a 6-4, 6-0 win over Sid Schnadler.
No. 3 Gena Folts and No. 4 Emily Sager also won singles matches Monday to round out the Eagle sweep.
The No. 1 doubles team of Lauren Emmerson and Ashley Nunamaker did its best to keep the streak alive, winning a narrow 7-6 (10-8), 6-4 decision over Jessica Colombo and Ashley Sterkel.
The No. 2 team of Elie Meierbachtol and Corinne Oates, and the No. 3 team of Mindy Henderson and Stephanie Smith both went the three-set distance, but lost.
The No. 4 doubles team of Lindsay Brown and Nancy Meza earned a forfeit, but still played a “pro-set” and won 8-5.
“I’ve been really impressed with how the kids are stroking the ball,” Hosford said. “They’re really developing fast, especially the younger players.”
Hosford said she and the team are looking forward to Thursday’s first league match at home versus Centennial.
“Centennial is a big one for us, and we’re focused,” she said.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge