Wednesday, April 3, 2002
Downtown gears for Soapbox Derby
Hood River Community Education, the Lions Club and Print IT will sponsor the first-ever sanctioned All-American Rally Race in the Gorge on April 20-21 in downtown Hood River. Boys and girls ages 9-16 are eligible to compete with a possibility of qualifying for nationals, to be held in Akron, Ohio. Races will be run in a double-phase, double-elimination format and each racer will have a minimum four races down the hill in vehicles powered only by gravity. Three cars donated by the Lions Club are still available. Call Community Education at 386-2055, or Jeff McCaw at 386-3580 with questions
Swim lessons at HR Aquatic Center
The Hood River Aquatic Center is currently taking reservations for spring swim lessons for kids 6 months and older. Classes are Tuesday and Thursday nights or Saturday mornings. Sessions are April 2-18 and April 30-May 2. For details, call the pool at 386-1303.
CGWA to sponsor Hook Work Party
The Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association has scheduled its second work party of the season for Saturday, April 6, from 9 a.m. to noon. Volunteers will be working on the area known as the “Hook” on Hood River Port property (take Oregon I-84 to exit 63). The association hopes to improve windsurfing access for the Hood River Parks and Recreation Community Windsurfing Program. Volunteers are asked to bring shovels, rakes and clippers. With questions, contact the CGWA office at 386-9225.
Ski and Tee Open set for April 20
The fifth-annual Ski and Tee golf open will be held Saturday, April 20 at Timberline Ski Area. Cost is $500 for a team of four and includes lift tickets, racing, lunch, green fees, golf cart rental and evening barbecue. The event benefits the Mt. Hood Ski Patrol volunteer organization. Call 503-622-3151 by April 10.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge