Thursday, April 11, 2002
GRESHAM — Looking like a group with something to prove, the HRV boys tennis team battled Gresham down to the wire Monday. But despite winning three of four singles matches, the Eagles fell 5-3.
Senior Dirk Britton, playing in the No. 2 singles spot, was unstoppable, recording six aces on the way to a 6-1, 6-0 win. No. 3 Alec Asbridge won 6-3, 6-4 and No. 4 Sean Ritter won 6-4, 6-2.
The only singles setback was by freshman No. 1 Brogan Houtz, who played a tough, consistent three-set match, but fell 2-6, 6-4, 0-6.
On the doubles side, the No. 1 team of Aarron Phillips and Joseph Broschart lost a hard-fought 7-6, 1-6, 2-6 match, while the No. 2 team of sophomores Erin Herman and Cam Emmerson, lost 1-6, 2-6. No. 3 doublesteam Bruce Chiang and Joseph Yang lost 2-6, 1-6.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge