Thursday, April 11, 2002
GRESHAM — Looking like a group with something to prove, the HRV boys tennis team battled Gresham down to the wire Monday. But despite winning three of four singles matches, the Eagles fell 5-3.
Senior Dirk Britton, playing in the No. 2 singles spot, was unstoppable, recording six aces on the way to a 6-1, 6-0 win. No. 3 Alec Asbridge won 6-3, 6-4 and No. 4 Sean Ritter won 6-4, 6-2.
The only singles setback was by freshman No. 1 Brogan Houtz, who played a tough, consistent three-set match, but fell 2-6, 6-4, 0-6.
On the doubles side, the No. 1 team of Aarron Phillips and Joseph Broschart lost a hard-fought 7-6, 1-6, 2-6 match, while the No. 2 team of sophomores Erin Herman and Cam Emmerson, lost 1-6, 2-6. No. 3 doublesteam Bruce Chiang and Joseph Yang lost 2-6, 1-6.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge