Thursday, April 11, 2002
COTTAGE GROVE — Five members of the Airtime Wrestling Club competed at the State Cadet Wrestling Tournament April 7-8 at Cottage Grove High School.
All told, the team brought home six medals and four first-place ribbons, and qualified all five wrestlers for the July 3-6 Cadet Duals in Denver, Colo.
“It’s our goal to have all five of these guys make the national team,” coach Mark Brown said.
Jason DeHart (160) and Jorge Lujano (275) won both the state Greco-Roman and freestyle competitions at their respective weight classes, and both looked practically unbeatable.
Lujano pinned each one of his opponents during the two-day tournament, while DeHart won all six of his matches by fall or tech fall. Lujano’s domination was most evident in the Greco final when he pinned his opponent in a lightning-quick eight seconds.
Also looking strong last weekend was Nigel Bond, who took second place at 215 pounds in his first state freestyle competition.
Rocky Level (140) and Erik Flory (119) will also travel with the team to Denver after impressive performances at state. Level won fourth place in freestyle and fifth in Greco, and Flory won third in freestyle and fourth in Greco.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge