Thursday, April 11, 2002
COTTAGE GROVE — Five members of the Airtime Wrestling Club competed at the State Cadet Wrestling Tournament April 7-8 at Cottage Grove High School.
All told, the team brought home six medals and four first-place ribbons, and qualified all five wrestlers for the July 3-6 Cadet Duals in Denver, Colo.
“It’s our goal to have all five of these guys make the national team,” coach Mark Brown said.
Jason DeHart (160) and Jorge Lujano (275) won both the state Greco-Roman and freestyle competitions at their respective weight classes, and both looked practically unbeatable.
Lujano pinned each one of his opponents during the two-day tournament, while DeHart won all six of his matches by fall or tech fall. Lujano’s domination was most evident in the Greco final when he pinned his opponent in a lightning-quick eight seconds.
Also looking strong last weekend was Nigel Bond, who took second place at 215 pounds in his first state freestyle competition.
Rocky Level (140) and Erik Flory (119) will also travel with the team to Denver after impressive performances at state. Level won fourth place in freestyle and fifth in Greco, and Flory won third in freestyle and fourth in Greco.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge