Thursday, April 11, 2002
COTTAGE GROVE — Five members of the Airtime Wrestling Club competed at the State Cadet Wrestling Tournament April 7-8 at Cottage Grove High School.
All told, the team brought home six medals and four first-place ribbons, and qualified all five wrestlers for the July 3-6 Cadet Duals in Denver, Colo.
“It’s our goal to have all five of these guys make the national team,” coach Mark Brown said.
Jason DeHart (160) and Jorge Lujano (275) won both the state Greco-Roman and freestyle competitions at their respective weight classes, and both looked practically unbeatable.
Lujano pinned each one of his opponents during the two-day tournament, while DeHart won all six of his matches by fall or tech fall. Lujano’s domination was most evident in the Greco final when he pinned his opponent in a lightning-quick eight seconds.
Also looking strong last weekend was Nigel Bond, who took second place at 215 pounds in his first state freestyle competition.
Rocky Level (140) and Erik Flory (119) will also travel with the team to Denver after impressive performances at state. Level won fourth place in freestyle and fifth in Greco, and Flory won third in freestyle and fourth in Greco.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge