Monday, April 15, 2002
What's wrong with this picture? Social Security cost of living increase, 2.6 percent; interest on CD, 2.8 percent; rate increase on water and sewer bill, 42 percent, and that's just for openers. Now, presuming I continue to live in the city of Hood River and don't go broke like the sewer fund, I will spend the rest of my life making monthly payments on a water pipeline that will handle the growth of Hood River for the next 55 years. That's like a 95-year-old man putting lifetime siding on his house. This is like the resort that keeps sending me flyers saying I can qualify to live there if I make at least $55,000 a year. So if any of you are planning to move here, don't bother, just send your money.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge