Monday, April 15, 2002
What's wrong with this picture? Social Security cost of living increase, 2.6 percent; interest on CD, 2.8 percent; rate increase on water and sewer bill, 42 percent, and that's just for openers. Now, presuming I continue to live in the city of Hood River and don't go broke like the sewer fund, I will spend the rest of my life making monthly payments on a water pipeline that will handle the growth of Hood River for the next 55 years. That's like a 95-year-old man putting lifetime siding on his house. This is like the resort that keeps sending me flyers saying I can qualify to live there if I make at least $55,000 a year. So if any of you are planning to move here, don't bother, just send your money.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge