Wednesday, April 17, 2002
The pear, apple and cherry pedals seem to say "it's Blossom time again."
Orchards and other businesses connected to the agricultural bounty of the county invite visitors to help celebrate the return of spring and the start of a new growing season. The event is the Hood River Blossom Festival, Friday through Sunday.
The festival starts with Friday's 7:30 p.m. (revised time) introduction of the Blossom Festival Court, at Hood River Hotel. Court ambassadors are Hood River Valley High School students Joyce Yang, Lori Wimmers, Christy Paul and Becki Flory.
Hood River News' special three-part Panorama section, included in this issue, gives the complete picture of festival events, from the Hood River waterfront to the flanks of Mt. Hood, along with related weekend events such as Earth Day Fair, with Saturday's 2 p.m. "Procession of the Species" parade, and the American Soap Box Derby, starting at 9 a.m., both downtown.
The annual Hood River Antique Expo, one of the festival's biggest events, fills the Hood River Expo Center both days with its show and sale.
Panorama features include a map and complete listing of festival events, a year-long Gorge events calendar, previews of coming festivals this summer and fall, a successful "eau de vie" business using Hood River pears, a 20-year retrospective on windsurfing in Hood River, recollections of a life-long Parkdale and Odell orchardists, and guest columns by four newcomers to the Hood River Valley.
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
- The Ale List: pFriem ranks tops in Oregonian brewery list
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge