Wednesday, April 24, 2002
Electrical cord overload is the suspected cause of two destructive house fires in Odell over the past week.
On Saturday at 6 p.m., Odell Fire Department responded to a fire at the home of Eliezer and Amelia Flores in AGA Mobile Home Park. Fire gutted the structure, causing $50,000 damage. The Flores and their two children were not home, and are currently staying with neighbors, said Odell fire chief Jeff Walker.
Fire caused $150,000 to the home of Bobby Shewey on Bartlett Road on April 17 at 2 p.m., Walker reported. The home was destroyed, but the family had left an hour earlier to go into town, Walker said. Initially, firefighters believed a man and an infant were inside the home. The Shewey family is staying with local relatives.
In both fires, Odell had help from firefighters from the Pine Grove and Westside fire departments, Walker said. No one was hurt in either fire. The Hood River Chapter of American Red Cross is providing assistance to both families, he said.
Walker urged homeowners to use extension cords appropriately and avoid using too many appliances on a cord. He said one way to reduce fire hazard is to install a power strip with a circuit breaker.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
- Santa Cruz, Fetkenhour April ‘Students of the Month’
- Picard resigns from Hood River city council over STR issue
- Cascade Locks city council continuing with Nestlé plans despite passage of 14-55
- An early exit for HRV boys lax, but not a disappointment
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge