Tuesday, April 30, 2002
Little League Opening Day today
Little League chapters in Hood River, Parkdale, Odell, Trout Lake and White Salmon will hold official Opening Day festivities today beginning at 10 a.m. to kick off the 2002
season. Highlighting the Hood River celebration will be an
appearance by the 1982 state-champion all-stars.
Woodruff nails hole in one
HRV sophomore Jimmy Woodruff scored a hole-in-one this week at Indian Creek, using a 7 iron on the 217-foot eighth hole. Woodruff is the No. 2 player on the HRV golf team.
HRGWA golfers starting to heat up
Shirley Ekker and Jo Smith led a field of 17 lady golfers at Tuesday’s Day’s Play at Hood River Golf and Country Club. Both ladies fired a low gross score of 49, counting only those holes starting with T and F. Sue Gutzler took third with a 52, while Patsy Prideaux finished a close third with a 53. Low net winners were Vivian Foster with 37, Cynthia Brocklesby with 37.5, Frances Arnold with 39.5 and Elaine Rife with 40.5.
* Sign ups for the May 14 Flag Day Tournament and other upcoming tourneys are now available in the Pro Shop. Members must sign up for tournaments if they would like to play.
Odell girls Majors off to hot start
The Odell girls Majors, Duckwall, started the season strong by beating White Salmon’s Soroptimist behind strong pitching from Kaitlyn Culpepper, who struck out 11 of 30 batters, and solid catching by Mireya Muñoz, who also hit a home run. The team followed the win with a victory against Hood River’s Soroptimist, in which Muñoz hit another home run. Culpepper followed with a triple that scored three of her five RBIs, and Danika Smith added three base hits.
Special Olympics golf coaches needed
The Mid Columbia Special Olympics chapter is seeking volunteer golf coaches to help with the local team this spring. Training starts on Monday, May 6, at Indian Creek, from 5-7 p.m. Call Carole Schmidt at 541-478-3716 if interested.
More like this story
- Library announces Odell bus service
- Learn the art of personal storytelling
- Steelhead, Chinook fishing clinic Feb. 27
- Help library win ‘Million Page Challenge’
- Church News: Nazarene’s install new pastor
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 6
- MAILS and Marijuana: Legislators right to work to stamp out a bad, old regulation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 6
- The Porch: Feb. 6
- ‘Pass The Pig’: HRVHS plans FFA Week events