Tuesday, April 30, 2002
Little League Opening Day today
Little League chapters in Hood River, Parkdale, Odell, Trout Lake and White Salmon will hold official Opening Day festivities today beginning at 10 a.m. to kick off the 2002
season. Highlighting the Hood River celebration will be an
appearance by the 1982 state-champion all-stars.
Woodruff nails hole in one
HRV sophomore Jimmy Woodruff scored a hole-in-one this week at Indian Creek, using a 7 iron on the 217-foot eighth hole. Woodruff is the No. 2 player on the HRV golf team.
HRGWA golfers starting to heat up
Shirley Ekker and Jo Smith led a field of 17 lady golfers at Tuesday’s Day’s Play at Hood River Golf and Country Club. Both ladies fired a low gross score of 49, counting only those holes starting with T and F. Sue Gutzler took third with a 52, while Patsy Prideaux finished a close third with a 53. Low net winners were Vivian Foster with 37, Cynthia Brocklesby with 37.5, Frances Arnold with 39.5 and Elaine Rife with 40.5.
* Sign ups for the May 14 Flag Day Tournament and other upcoming tourneys are now available in the Pro Shop. Members must sign up for tournaments if they would like to play.
Odell girls Majors off to hot start
The Odell girls Majors, Duckwall, started the season strong by beating White Salmon’s Soroptimist behind strong pitching from Kaitlyn Culpepper, who struck out 11 of 30 batters, and solid catching by Mireya Muñoz, who also hit a home run. The team followed the win with a victory against Hood River’s Soroptimist, in which Muñoz hit another home run. Culpepper followed with a triple that scored three of her five RBIs, and Danika Smith added three base hits.
Special Olympics golf coaches needed
The Mid Columbia Special Olympics chapter is seeking volunteer golf coaches to help with the local team this spring. Training starts on Monday, May 6, at Indian Creek, from 5-7 p.m. Call Carole Schmidt at 541-478-3716 if interested.
More like this story
- Late night total bridge closure Tuesday, Oct. 24
- Photos from the Oct. 18 Underwood Fruit fire
- Death notice for Oct. 21 edition: Marc Wixman
- Service announcements for Oct. 21 edition: George Watanabe, Heidi Hansberger and Harrison Peters
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge