Tuesday, December 10, 2002
The Gorge Winds concert band, a 45-member adult community band, plays its Christmas Concert on Dec. 15 at 7 p.m. at The Dalles Civic Auditorium.
The concert will feature an hour and a half of Christmas music including an arrangement of “Silent Night” by the ever popular Mannheim Steamroller, “White Christmas,” and a rousing, foot-stomping “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.”
Director Sam Grotte said the volunteer musicians “play music for the sheer joy of it.”
During most of the year, they play for outdoor festivals, schools, hospitals, nursing homes and college graduations. The music runs from Broadway show tunes to light classical, marches and pops — much like the programs of the Boston Pops, but without string instruments. The Gorge Winds is a “wind band,” meaning clarinets, flutes, saxophones, trumpets, trombones, baritone horns, tubas and lots of percussion “toys.”
Extremely popular in the early years of the 20th century, concert bands are making a comeback, according to Grotte, of White Salmon. There are now thousands in the United States and a lot more in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc., and more each year. In the heyday of concert bands, nearly every town of more than a thousand had a band and a fine covered bandstand, so they could play outdoors in less than perfect weather.
The Gorge Winds was started about three years ago with about 22 musicians. It’s grown to over 45 and the musicianship has certainly outgrown its physical size. The band’s members hail from nearly every community from Stevenson to Goldendale to Condon to the Tri-Cities, but most folks come from The Dalles and Hood River.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge