Tuesday, December 10, 2002
GRESHAM — The HRV boys basketball team traveled to Centennial last Friday for the first game of the new season for both teams.
The former Mt. Hood Conference rivals battled it out for four quarters, but in the end, it was the Eagles of Centennial who prevailed by a score of 58-52.
“It was a good first game for us,” HRV head coach Phil Vesel said. “We showed our inexperience early and down the stretch, but we competed well and gave ourselves a chance to win.”
Senior point guard Andy Holmson had a strong all-around game to lead HRV, which starts the season with just five full-time varsity players from 2001-02.
Holmson’s 17 points, four assists and three steals were all team highs, but he also turned the ball over five times.
Junior post Heath Goin was a monster in the lane on Friday, recording a team-high 12 rebounds to go with seven points, one assist and one steal.
However, despite Goin’s presence in the lane, Vesel felt that the team’s overall performance on the boards needs improvement.
Other highlights for HRV included senior Todd Shypertt, who had six points, six rebounds, two steals and two charges taken. Senior Mitchell Bohn was second on the team with 10 points, and also chipped in five boards.
Sam Murillo had seven points, one assist and one steal; Jarrod Fogle had three points and one assist; and Tyler Monzie notched seven rebounds to go with two points and two assists.
HRV played another former Mt. Hood Conference rival Central Catholic on Tuesday, but results were not available at press time. They host Clackamas on Saturday at 1 p.m.
More like this story
- Three people, and a dog, survive capsizing in Columbia near Wyeth
- Death notices, Sept. 28: Vera Owen, James Robinson, Clarence Lowell, Scott Burnett and Eva Morales Sanchez
- Service Announcement, Sept. 27: Berna Carter
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge