Tuesday, December 31, 2002
GRESHAM — The HRV boys basketball team got its first taste of Intermountain Conference competition last Saturday when it faced Bend in the final round of the Barlow Trail Invitational.
While it wasn’t their finest effort of the season, the Eagles were still able to squeak out a 40-37 win to raise their season record to 3-6.
“We scored when we executed our offense, but it really shouldn’t have been that close,” said coach Phil Vesel, who was without junior post Heath Goin.
Senior point guard Andy Holmson led the Eagles with 10 points. Also of note, Ryan Pratt had nine, Tyler Monzie six, Pete Dills five points. Five players had two apiece.
HRV was coming off a disappointing 44-42 loss to Skyview of Vancouver, Wash., and the win over Bend snapped a three-game losing streak. The Eagles are off until Jan. 7 when they host The Dalles.
Senior point guard Andy Holmson earned 39 hustle points to win his second straight Hustle Player of the Week award. In a close race, senior Ryan Pratt had 37 points, while Todd Shypertt and Jarrod Fogle each had 35 points.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge