Wednesday, February 6, 2002
I would like to add my two cents worth to the other letters concerning the "Big Box Wal-Mart."
I for one do not feel we need a bigger Wal-Mart here.
We have just returned from southeast Oklahoma, where their big Wal-Mart was replaced with a giant sized Wal-Mart in May 2001. The first big box is just sitting there just a few blocks from the new one, empty of course.
Now more of the business one by one are closing. They cannot compete. Those businesses are most all family owned for generations -- and it is very sad to see.
Yes, they employ quite a few people, but at the same time they are squeezing money out.
I do very little shopping at Wal-Mart, the most of their stuff is cheap -- made from cheap material and cheaply made.
What I'm trying to say is this Wal-Mart is plenty big enough. They have alaready pushed many of our businesses out, enough is enough.
Their motto used to be "Made in America." Yet very little is actually made in America. I know some will disagree with me. But seeing is believing.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge