Wednesday, February 13, 2002
GRESHAM — The undefeated HRV wrestling team will put everything on the line Friday and Saturday when it takes on the district’s best at Barlow High School.
The Eagles have high hopes to win their first 4A district title, but will have to get through the formidable likes of Centennial, David Douglas and defending champ Gresham.
Seniors Jason Macioroski (171), David Posey (130), Esteban Avila (119), Felipe Magaña (140), Cody Cataldo (140), Nathan Nash (215) and Ray Muñoz (215) will lead the charge, but the Eagles also have an excellent chance of winning with their underclassmen.
Junior Jacobe Krizman (160) is undefeated this season and enters the district meet as the No. 1 seed. Trent Shelton (145), also a junior, has yet to lose at 145 this year and has even won most of his matches at 152.
Junior Tommy Owyen will be a factor in the 275-pound class because of his quickness and agility, and 112-pound Josh Van Ek will look to avenge some close losses to conference foes from Reynolds and David Douglas.
Junior John Harvey (140) and sophomore Rocky Level (135) also have a legitimate chance to compete for the title in their respective weight classes.
Muñoz and Nash will have a difficult task ahead of them at 215 pounds as state No. 1 Justin Snoderly looks to prove himself. Macioroski will have an equally tough battle at 171, where he will face David Douglas’ Brandon Ely, who lost his only match of the season to Macioroski on Feb. 6.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge