Wednesday, February 27, 2002
Earls, Byrne advance to state shoot
Sharp-shooters Kyle Earls and Matt Byrne earned a spot in the state free-throw shooting finals Sunday by winning their respective age groups at the Knights of Columbus district-level contest in Gresham. Other Mid Columbia shooters participating Sunday were Tyler Freas, Jordan Peldyak and Justina McCrea. Earls, 11, and Byrne, 13, will compete in the state finals March 16 at La Salle High School in Portland.
Soapbox racecar clinic Saturday
Hood River Community Education will sponsor an all-day soapbox racing clinic Saturday, March 2 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Westside Elementary School cafeteria. Approximately 20 cars will be assembled — including 10 “rental cars” donated by the Hood River Lions Club — for the annual derby, which will be held in April. To register, call 386-2055 right away.
HRGWA season to begin March 5
The Hood River Women’s Golf Association will kick off the 2002 season March 5 at HRGCC with a monthly business meeting at 9 a.m., followed by nine holes (weather permitting). All women who want to participate should arrive by 8:45 a.m. Any lady golfers who are interested in golfing 18 holes on Tuesdays are invited to attend. Dues for the year are $30 and include membership in the OGA.
HRV lacrosse in search of JV coach
The Hood River Valley lacrosse team is looking for a volunteer JV coach for the upcoming season, scheduled to begin in early March. Part-time or full-time help would be appreciated. Call Chris Kelly at 386-8755 with questions.
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge