Saturday, January 5, 2002
NEW YORK — Hood River Valley High School graduate Alice Pennington capped a breakout season of bike racing by winning her first national title in the short track event at the Collegiate National Mountain-Bike Championships Oct. 25-28.
More than 330 riders from 74 colleges gathered in the Catskill Mountains for the four-day event, which featured short track, downhill, slalom and cross-country races.
Pennington, 20, of Oregon State University, won the short-track event against 60 Division IA women, and took third in the cross-country race despite high winds, freezing temperatures, mud, snow and ice pellets.
After more than two hours, she completed the cross-country course, and ended up finishing fourth in the individual overall standings.
Earlier in the year, Pennington showed her versatility on the road-racing scene, earning a third-place medal against 100 other women on a grueling, hill-laden course at the National Collegiate Road Race in Colorado Springs, Colo.
She also won second place at the U-23 Women’s National Road Race in Redding, Calif.
Pennington’s father Jim said that a successful 2001 has stirred the interest of multiple corporate sponsors. He said Alice will ride professionally for two teams — one road, one mountain — in 2002, while continuing her studies at OSU. With all her success, she naturally has plans for the future.
“I’m going to try to go as far as I can,” she said. “But for this year, a top 15 finish at the national-level races would be great.”
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge