Saturday, January 5, 2002
NEW YORK — Hood River Valley High School graduate Alice Pennington capped a breakout season of bike racing by winning her first national title in the short track event at the Collegiate National Mountain-Bike Championships Oct. 25-28.
More than 330 riders from 74 colleges gathered in the Catskill Mountains for the four-day event, which featured short track, downhill, slalom and cross-country races.
Pennington, 20, of Oregon State University, won the short-track event against 60 Division IA women, and took third in the cross-country race despite high winds, freezing temperatures, mud, snow and ice pellets.
After more than two hours, she completed the cross-country course, and ended up finishing fourth in the individual overall standings.
Earlier in the year, Pennington showed her versatility on the road-racing scene, earning a third-place medal against 100 other women on a grueling, hill-laden course at the National Collegiate Road Race in Colorado Springs, Colo.
She also won second place at the U-23 Women’s National Road Race in Redding, Calif.
Pennington’s father Jim said that a successful 2001 has stirred the interest of multiple corporate sponsors. He said Alice will ride professionally for two teams — one road, one mountain — in 2002, while continuing her studies at OSU. With all her success, she naturally has plans for the future.
“I’m going to try to go as far as I can,” she said. “But for this year, a top 15 finish at the national-level races would be great.”
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge