Wednesday, January 23, 2002
I track my bills fairly well and so when my garbage bill did not arrive in the first week of this month when it usually comes, I was a bit worried. However, since it was so close to the holidays I figured that the bill may have been delayed and would arrive during the second week. No such luck.
This past Monday (Jan. 14) the bill finally arrived. To my surprise my local garbage bill is now processed through Los Angeles, Calif. The bill had been printed out (and mailed?) on Jan. 4, it arrived on 11 days later on Jan. 14. The big surprise was that it was due the next day on Jan. 15. I dutifully wrote my check and mailed the payment in on the morning of Jan. 15, but fear that I may have late fees since it may take 11 days for it to reach and be processed in California.
Do not get me wrong, I like the new format of the bill. However, it would be much better if it could arrive with enough time before the due date that payment can be remitted without being late. I also wonder why Hood River Garbage Service has had to go out of State to find a bill processing company -- are there none to be found in Oregon? Is this why rates were raised, to pay for processing fees and postage?
Oh, and by the way, I do not intend on paying late fees until they can actually get a bill to me on time.
More like this story
- HRMS teacher studies in Germany
- Police Log, Aug. 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 14 to 24
- Soccer Assist: Kudos for thoughtful behind-scenes work
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 29
- Editor's Notebook: Roanoke tragedy asks, ‘are we slaves to our technology?’
- Gorge Kids Tri adds music fest to lineup
- The Porch for Aug. 29
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 29
- Updated: Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge