Wednesday, January 23, 2002
After a brief winter closure, the Columbia Art Gallery is up and running again. It kicked off the year last week with the opening of a show featuring the works of local painter Arnold Zweerts and local potter Jill Warila.
Zweerts was born in Holland and did artistic training there as well as in Denmark, Italy and Mexico. He received a master in fine arts from the University of Guanajuato in Mexico. His paintings are influenced by Cezanne and de Kooning, among others.
"My work is based on dreams and reality," he says.
Warila, owner of Cloud Cap Pottery, is a native of Oregon. She works with high fire stoneware and porcelains which "allow me to use the firing processes of wood or soda to achieve the warm earth tones and enhanced green hues that are prevalent to my work," she says.
Warila likes to create work in a "series of like forms," such as making functional pots that "favor everyday use."
The show runs through Jan. 28. The schedule of upcoming shows at Columbia Art Gallery follows:
* Feb. 1-25: Rethinking Rock, Paper, Scissors -- a Multi-Media Challenge Show. This show will kick of the First Friday downtown arts and music celebration with a reception from 7 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 1.
* March 1-April 1: Multimedia works by Irene Fields, Andrew Pate, Dan Noble and Elsie Petrin. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. March 1.
* April 5-29: Figure as Icon -- figural fantasies by Lesa Hanners, Melody Robichaud, Vicky VanKoten and Gayle Weisfield. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. April 5.
* May 3-June 3: Precocious Pear -- open invitational show. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. May 3.
* June 7-July 1: Hail Mid-Columbia -- juried fine arts show. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. June 7.
* July 5-29: Monoprints by Jane Pagliarulo and Sorcha Meek. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. July 5.
* Aug. 2-26: Paul Allen Bennett, paintings, Ron Fenter, pottery. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Aug. 2.
* Sept. 6-30: Leaves of Grass -- Ellen Dittebrandt, pastel, Dave and Bonnie Deal, raku pottery. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Sept. 6.
* Oct. 4-28: Columbia Gorge Bead Society. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Oct. 4.
* Nov. 1-18: Installation Exhibit. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Nov. 1.
* Nov. 22-Dec. 24: Holiday Show. Opening reception at 7 p.m. Nov. 22.
The gallery is located at 207 Second Street. Gallery hours are noon to 5 p.m. Thursday through Monday.
More like this story
- ‘Invention Camp’ Aug. 14-18
- Death Notice for July 29: Dixie Graham
- Service announcements for July 29: Joshua Parke, Jason DeGeus, Maxine Carter and Robert Gilmore
- Pick of the Week: Westside forum July 26
- Fair Time: HOOD RIVER COUNTY FAIR — ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lassie’ films in HR in 1947
- Daily Bread: Blame it on The Moon
- McAlexanders celebrate 50th anniversary
- Hood River Library hosts Death Café
- Police Log, July 17 to 23
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge