Wednesday, January 23, 2002
After a brief winter closure, the Columbia Art Gallery is up and running again. It kicked off the year last week with the opening of a show featuring the works of local painter Arnold Zweerts and local potter Jill Warila.
Zweerts was born in Holland and did artistic training there as well as in Denmark, Italy and Mexico. He received a master in fine arts from the University of Guanajuato in Mexico. His paintings are influenced by Cezanne and de Kooning, among others.
"My work is based on dreams and reality," he says.
Warila, owner of Cloud Cap Pottery, is a native of Oregon. She works with high fire stoneware and porcelains which "allow me to use the firing processes of wood or soda to achieve the warm earth tones and enhanced green hues that are prevalent to my work," she says.
Warila likes to create work in a "series of like forms," such as making functional pots that "favor everyday use."
The show runs through Jan. 28. The schedule of upcoming shows at Columbia Art Gallery follows:
* Feb. 1-25: Rethinking Rock, Paper, Scissors -- a Multi-Media Challenge Show. This show will kick of the First Friday downtown arts and music celebration with a reception from 7 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 1.
* March 1-April 1: Multimedia works by Irene Fields, Andrew Pate, Dan Noble and Elsie Petrin. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. March 1.
* April 5-29: Figure as Icon -- figural fantasies by Lesa Hanners, Melody Robichaud, Vicky VanKoten and Gayle Weisfield. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. April 5.
* May 3-June 3: Precocious Pear -- open invitational show. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. May 3.
* June 7-July 1: Hail Mid-Columbia -- juried fine arts show. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. June 7.
* July 5-29: Monoprints by Jane Pagliarulo and Sorcha Meek. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. July 5.
* Aug. 2-26: Paul Allen Bennett, paintings, Ron Fenter, pottery. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Aug. 2.
* Sept. 6-30: Leaves of Grass -- Ellen Dittebrandt, pastel, Dave and Bonnie Deal, raku pottery. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Sept. 6.
* Oct. 4-28: Columbia Gorge Bead Society. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Oct. 4.
* Nov. 1-18: Installation Exhibit. First Friday reception at 7 p.m. Nov. 1.
* Nov. 22-Dec. 24: Holiday Show. Opening reception at 7 p.m. Nov. 22.
The gallery is located at 207 Second Street. Gallery hours are noon to 5 p.m. Thursday through Monday.
More like this story
- Fun at the CGWA Beach Bash
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
- Fire season is here: enjoy yourself, safely and legally
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge