Wednesday, January 30, 2002
In response to all the letters to the editor about the new "Super Wal-Mart," I have to put in my two cents. I am completely for a new, bigger store.
I know several people who work at Wal-Mart and are very happy there. They make above-minimum wage, have regular pay increases and get benefits and other perks.
With our economy so bad now, we should be happy that Wal-Mart is able to build a bigger store and offer more jobs.
Several orchardists are losing money and having to cut down trees. SDS Lumber, Hanel Lumber, etc., are laying people off. Some of those people may need to work at Wal-Mart to support their families.
I am a single mother of two, who is fortunate to have a job I don't have to worry about losing. But if I were in the position so many others are facing right now, I would be happy to have a job at Wal-Mart.
So people who are opposing the bigger store should hope they don't ever have to work there.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge