Wednesday, July 17, 2002
For fans of Stephen Sondheim, a performance of “Assassins” is a real event. Because of its difficulty and controversial subject matter, the musical is only rarely produced and when it is, theatre lovers often travel large distances to attend a production.
Director of the CAST production of “Assassins” Mark Steighner said that thanks to a listing in the print and online version of “The Sondheim Review,” audiences are coming from Portland and as far as Seattle and Tacoma to attend the show. “The Sondheim Review” is a quarterly scholarly journal devoted to Sondheim’s shows and includes a listing of all performances of his musicals from “Assassins” to “West Side Story.”
The local production is one of only five nationally between now and December. The only other West Coast performances are in California in early fall.
Steighner and the cast of “Assassins” were encouraged by strong opening weekend audiences and a lively post-performance audience discussion after the show Saturday night.
“It was clear that the show was affecting the audience very strongly, and in some cases, even changing their perceptions of the world,” Steighner said. Post-show discussions will continue for the duration of the run.
The show runs Friday and Saturday nights at 8 p.m. through Aug. 10. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door and are available at Waucoma Books, Klindt’s in The Dalles, and Collage of the Gorge in White Salmon.
The show’s web site is http://w3.gorge.net/mdstg/Assassins.htm
More like this story
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Gorge Soup adds ‘Visual Arts’ event
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
- Fruit and Craft Fair adds ranch sorting and other events
- Harvest Quilt fundraiser on now
- Kegler's Corner: Jeff Furlong stars at Orchard Lanes
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge