Tuesday, July 23, 2002
ODELL — Before Sunday’s final of the Titulo de Copa, Guerrero had been trying to get past Abasolo for more than a year in the Columbia Gorge Soccer League.
After Sunday’s final, Abasolo will have to reinvent its battle plan, because Guerrero stole the series momentum and the midseason cup by a score of 5-3.
Guerrero notched three goals in the first half to go up 3-0 at the break, then put home another — a bullet from 30 yards by Victor Del Real — in the first five minutes of the second.
Abasolo tried to keep it close, answering the early second-half surge to cut the lead to 4-2. But Guerrero’s attack and rugged back line were too much, and they supplanted Abasolo from the top spot for the first time in three years.
Guerrero still sits atop the regular-season standings, along with Real Madrid of White Salmon, with an 11-1-1 record and 34 points. Sahuayo Jr. has made its way into the third spot at 11-3-1, while Azteca 11-0-3 and Spartak 10-2-4 round out the top five.
Three more weeks of games remain and then the top eight teams will embark on a single-elimination playoff, hoping to knock off Abasolo, the 2001 champ, once again.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge