Tuesday, July 23, 2002
Kate McCarthy, a Mt. Hood resident, received the highest award given by the Mazamas Mountaineering Club.
The announcement of McCarthy’s Honorary Membership was made at Sunday’s annual meeting of the Hood River Valley Residents Committee.
“I was pleased, surprised and amazed (to receive the award),” McCarthy said Monday. She said her strong concerns about overuse of Mt. Hood, located within close proximity to the Portland-metro area, have driven her for years to work toward resource protection.
Those efforts have not gone unnoticed by the Mazamas.
“This recognition has been granted to you in light of your many accomplishments and contributions to conservation over the years. In particular, your strong leadership in the Friends of Mt. Hood has helped protect the mountain that is so very dear to the Mazamas,” wrote Keith Mischke, executive director, in his May 16, 2002, letter to McCarthy.
McCarthy, one of the founders of the HRVRC, is the 41st person given the top award from the Mazamas since the club formed in 1894. She will now have free lifetime membership dues and full rights with the exception of voting and holding office. She will be personally honored at the 109th annual Mazama banquet this fall.
“The folks who are with Kate today are in very good company,” said Ken Maddox, HRVRC president, a statement that was followed by a round of applause from the audience.
More like this story
- Cooper Spur Coalition spars with Mt. Hood Meadows
- Residents, Meadows compromise Meadows concedes rights to develop north face of Mount Hood; Residents vow support for housing plan near Government Camp
- Opposing camps seek compromise in resort battle
- Judge stays with decision
- Residents appeal court dismissal
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge