Wednesday, July 31, 2002
First Friday in Hood River will be known as “Summer in the Gorge,” according to Joanie Thomson, coordinator of the Hood River Downtown Business Association.
The association and GorgeArts in association with local artists, performers and businesses recognize artists of the Gorge during First Friday, 5-8 p.m.
On the First Friday of every month, dozens of local artists exhibit their creations at downtown Hood River businesses.
A monthly collaboration among downtown merchants and local artists and performers, First Friday benefits everyone, Thomson said.
Artists working in diverse media are on hand to showcase and sell their art, and a variety of performers entertain throughout the downtown area. Each participating business extends its hours until 8 p.m. and hosts one or more featured artists who are on hand throughout the evening.
Highlighted artists for the August event include Evlory Dearing at A Salon Day Spa Boutique, Richard Hallman at Kerrits, Lynn Whitley at Twiggs, Bill Sturman at the Hood River Wine Bar, Elizabeth Anderson at Informal Flowers, Peter Marbach, book signing of “Oregon Harvest” at Waucoma Bookstore and many more featured artists and locations.
Highlighted musicians include Wild River at Mall 202, Samba Hood Rio at Big Winds, Bob Connolly at Hood River Hotel, Charles Crosman at At Home on Oak Street and Fladdermus, Swedish Keyfiddle at Waucoma Bookstore.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge