Wednesday, July 31, 2002
HOOD RIVER — The first day of the Oregon Road Race Championships took place Saturday in the Upper Valley.
The cycling race, which attracted more than 240 riders, was the first of two to take place in Hood River County.
“Things went really well today,” said race director Chad Sperry. “I think we did a good job of taking care of the racers and respecting the locals and others on the road.”
Doug Ollerenshaw of the Bike Gallery/Trek team took top honors, winning the Rehearsal Race for the 1-2 Men’s category. Marjon Marik of Prime Alliance won the top women’s race, as a total of 13 state champions were crowned on Saturday.
Hood River riders fared well in two fields, with Gorge “wunderkid” Luke Pennington finishing seventh in the 1-2 Men’s division.
Summer resident Barry Wicks was sixth, while area physician Travis Hunt finished 15th.
In the 4-5 Men’s category, Matt Botti just edged Dan Melkonian for fourth, with Tre Hendricks coming in 10th and Mike Jones 15th.
The New York City Sub Shop and Hood River Bagel Company provided lunches and refreshments for the race staff, and organizers thanked them for their involvement.
Disco Velo is the primary host of the event, which is co-sponsored by Discover Bicycles, Big Gym and Columbia River Bank.
The races will continue Sunday beginning at 8:30 a.m., and will likely be completed by 1 p.m.
For more information on the Oregon Road Race, please contact Jeff Lorenzen at 354-2272.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge