Wednesday, March 6, 2002
HRV teams earn academic awards
Three HRV winter sports teams were recognized this week as top 10 scholastic programs among 4A Oregon high schools. Both the boys and girls basketball teams and the boys swimming team were given the OSAA Oregon Dairy Farmers Academic All-State Award for their accomplishments in the classroom this season. The boys hoops team was fifth in the state with a 3.61 cumulative GPA, including three 4.0 students; the girls hoops team was sixth with a 3.74 GPA and seven 4.0 students; and the boys swim team was eighth with a 3.54 and seven 4.0 students.
Martens to play for Western Oregon
Hood River Valley High School star running back Wes Martens has agreed to play football next season for Western Oregon University in Monmouth. Head coach Duke Iverson has already announced the signings of 29 Northwest high school players who will join the program next fall. Among the players named to the team this week were Sandy quarterback Ryan Thorson, David Douglas defensive back Eric Odegbami and first-team all-state defensive lineman Conrad Venti of 4Astate champion McNary. Western Oregon is the only NCAA Division II school in the state and will open the 2002 season in Colorado against Mesa State.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge