Wednesday, March 6, 2002
HRV teams earn academic awards
Three HRV winter sports teams were recognized this week as top 10 scholastic programs among 4A Oregon high schools. Both the boys and girls basketball teams and the boys swimming team were given the OSAA Oregon Dairy Farmers Academic All-State Award for their accomplishments in the classroom this season. The boys hoops team was fifth in the state with a 3.61 cumulative GPA, including three 4.0 students; the girls hoops team was sixth with a 3.74 GPA and seven 4.0 students; and the boys swim team was eighth with a 3.54 and seven 4.0 students.
Martens to play for Western Oregon
Hood River Valley High School star running back Wes Martens has agreed to play football next season for Western Oregon University in Monmouth. Head coach Duke Iverson has already announced the signings of 29 Northwest high school players who will join the program next fall. Among the players named to the team this week were Sandy quarterback Ryan Thorson, David Douglas defensive back Eric Odegbami and first-team all-state defensive lineman Conrad Venti of 4Astate champion McNary. Western Oregon is the only NCAA Division II school in the state and will open the 2002 season in Colorado against Mesa State.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge