Wednesday, March 6, 2002
HRV teams earn academic awards
Three HRV winter sports teams were recognized this week as top 10 scholastic programs among 4A Oregon high schools. Both the boys and girls basketball teams and the boys swimming team were given the OSAA Oregon Dairy Farmers Academic All-State Award for their accomplishments in the classroom this season. The boys hoops team was fifth in the state with a 3.61 cumulative GPA, including three 4.0 students; the girls hoops team was sixth with a 3.74 GPA and seven 4.0 students; and the boys swim team was eighth with a 3.54 and seven 4.0 students.
Martens to play for Western Oregon
Hood River Valley High School star running back Wes Martens has agreed to play football next season for Western Oregon University in Monmouth. Head coach Duke Iverson has already announced the signings of 29 Northwest high school players who will join the program next fall. Among the players named to the team this week were Sandy quarterback Ryan Thorson, David Douglas defensive back Eric Odegbami and first-team all-state defensive lineman Conrad Venti of 4Astate champion McNary. Western Oregon is the only NCAA Division II school in the state and will open the 2002 season in Colorado against Mesa State.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge