Tuesday, May 14, 2002
PORTLAND — The HRV girls tennis team completed the 2002 season on a melancholy note at this week’s district match.
Despite sending their No. 1 doubles team of Lauren Emmerson and Corinne Oates to state, most of the girls played one match before being eliminated.
“We were a little disappointed on the whole,” coach Barb Hosford said. “Our singles players had a tough time getting it going. But I was very impressed by our top two doubles teams.”
The Eagles’ No. 2 team of Elie Meierbachtol and Ashley Nunamaker won two matches in the single-elimination bracket before bowing out in the quarterfinals to eventual district champs Angie Bloyer and Sheena Surplus of Gresham.
“Elie and Ashley were amazing,” Hosford said. “Elie played the best I’ve seen her play all season. They probably could have beat Bloyer and Surplus, but Ashley cramped up in the second set. But I’m still proud of them.”
Emmerson and Oates, who will compete at state May 16-18 at the Portland Tennis Club, also fell to Bloyer and Surplus, losing 6-3, 6-1 in the semifinals. However, they rebounded to beat Margaret Kendall and Margot Linde of Central Catholic for third place.
On the singles side, none of the Eagles’ top three found her game, as Jodie Gates, Kerry Hart and Gena Folts all lost in two sets.
Team No. 4 Emily Sager played one of her best matches of the season in the first round, beating Caroline Evandoll of David Douglas 6-4, 6-1 before losing to eventual champion Emily Kirchen of Reynolds.
The young HRV team returns everyone but Hart in 2003.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge