Tuesday, May 14, 2002
McIsaac’s remains undefeated
McIsaac’s of Parkdale continued its undefeated roll through boys majors play in the early season with wins over the Odell Lions and Hood River Elks last week. Travis Carratt crushed two homeruns and knocked in five runs to lead McIsaac’s in the 10-2 win over the Elks. The Elks were able to bounce back Saturday, however, beating second place Maritime Services by a score of 11-3. McIsaac’s leads the way at 7-0 and is followed by Maritime at 5-2, HR Elks at 5-3 and Underwood Fruit at 4-4.
Venturing crew sought for summer
Boys and girls ages 14-19 interested in water sports are
encouraged to sign up for a new “venturing crew” to participate in twice-monthly outdoor adventures, including kayaking, windsurfing and kiteboarding. Co-sponsored by Hood River WaterPlay and the Boy Scouts of America, all activities are free and equipment is provided. The first outing is scheduled for Wednesday, May 15. Call Jak or Carla at 386-9463 with questions or to sign up. Parents who would like to volunteer a minimum two hours a month are also encouraged to call.
Indian Creek women’s golf update
Clara Rice led the Day’s Play field at Indian Creek May 9 as the ladies played a round of Even Holes. Sara Starnes took second and Diana Mazeski third in the game that counts only the even-numbered holes toward the round score. Irene Kiyokawa and Carol Emmerson tied for fourth.
* Remember to show up Thursday for the Spring Handicap tournament. Call Cynthia at 354-5550 with questions. Also, a clinic with Indian Creek Golf Pro Harold Bluestein will be held May 23, beginning at 8:30 a.m. Draw begins at 8:15 a.m.
Beginning golf at Indian Creek
Hood River Community Education and Indian Creek Golf Course are teaming up this spring to offer beginning golf lessons. Indian Creek Golf Pro Harold Bluestein will be teaching two different classes beginning Tuesday, May 21, and Friday, May 24. Each class consists of four lessons that will cover putting, chipping and swing mechanics. Cost is $50 per person. Clubs will be provided. Call 386-2055 to sign up.
HOPE relay race deadline approaches
Registrations for the June 8 HOPE Bike, Paddle and Run for Cover are due May 31. Individuals or teams of two or three in this three-part race, which includes a 10K bike portion, a 5K run, and a 3K kayak course. Registration forms can be picked up at Outdoor Play at 6 Oak Street, Hood River. Call 386-9144 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Cost is $25 per individual ($15 for 18 and younger) and includes a T-shirt and raffle tickets. All proceeds benefit HOPE’s emergency shelter program.
More like this story
- Holiday Happenings, updated for Dec. 16 edition
- Service Announcement for Dec. 16:
- Team Osprey competes in Bend Winter Invitational
- Sports briefs for Dec. 13
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 13
- Off the Rails: Protest oil train regulation rollback
- Hood River Bridge replacement: Understanding the WHATs
- Sheriff's Log, Nov. 26 to Dec. 10
- Happiness Month profile: Slowing down with ‘The Daily Three’
- Menorah Installed