Monday, May 20, 2002
Hukari cashes in on 200th win
Hood River Valley High School softball coach Phil Hukari reached an important milestone following last Friday’s win over Parkrose. The Eagles’ 7-2 victory gave Hukari his 200th career coaching victory as HRV head coach, a post he took over in 1992. Hukari’s coaching highlight was winning the OSAA state softball championship in 1996 — a team that featured Oregon State softball star Crystal Draper, along with his daughter Kelly. Hukari’s Eagles played a first-round state playoff game at Forest Grove Friday. See the May 22 edition for full details.
Hershey track meet Tuesday at HRMS
Hood River Community Education will host a Hershey Track Meet Tuesday at Hood River Middle School beginning at 6 p.m. Boys and girls ages 9-14 should turn out for a chance to advance to the state meet, held in Eugene. Nationals will then be held in Hershey, Pa. Cost is $1. Call 386-2055 with questions.
Hood River Little League meeting
The Hood River Little League main board will hold its regular meeting Monday at 8 p.m. at Henkle Middle School in White Salmon. Meeting will be in the library and anyone is welcome. Call Becky Kopecky at 387-3777 with questions.
Tennis leagues set to begin in June
Boys and girls looking to improve their tennis skills this summer are encouraged to sign up for the Hood River Junior Tennis Team, coached by HRV boys tennis coach Shayla Moline. The team will begin Monday and Wednesday practices on July 8, and will play matches on Fridays. Age divisions are 12-and-under, 15-and-under, and 17-and-under. Open to all ability levels. Cost is $45. Call 386-2055 with questions.
* A men’s Tuesday night doubles league is set to begin play June 11 at the City Tennis Courts. League is limited to eight teams and play will continue for eight weeks. Cost is $15.
* The Thursday night women’s doubles league will begin play June 13, while the Wednesday night Mixed Doubles league will begin June 12. Leagues are limited to eight teams and play will continue for eight weeks. Cost is $15.
Mountain Valley Basketball Camp
Local high-school basketball coaches will work with boys and girls entering grades 4-12 at a four-day basketball camp, held at HRVHS the week of June 17. Grades 4-7 will play from 9-11:30 a.m., and grades 8-12 from 1-4 p.m. Cost is $40 per player and includes a T-shirt. Call 386-2055 with questions.
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge