Wednesday, May 22, 2002
AURORA — HRV senior Andy Murphy capped his high-school golfing career May 13-14 when he competed at the OSAA/U.S. Bank State Golf Championships at Langdon Farms Golf Course.
While he didn’t play his best either day, Murphy still managed to put together consecutive low-80s scores (85, 80) and finish 61st out of a field of approximately 120 golfers.
“I expected to hit the ball pretty well, but ended up playing worse than I have all year,” he said. “I wasn’t nervous or anything. I just couldn’t hit the ball. Good thing I was able to putt or it could have been a lot worse.”
Murphy said he approached the state tournament casually and despite not shooting his best, he was still happy to be included among such elite competition.
“Afterward, I regretted that I didn’t try a little harder,” he said. “But I feel like I accomplished a lot just making it to state.”
Murphy and the Eagles took fifth place at the May 6-7 district competition at the Resort at the Mountain in Welches.
Murphy and teammate Manny Morales are the team’s only two graduating seniors.
More like this story
- Reader Photos: Enjoying the Eclipse
- Eclipse Scenes
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge