Wednesday, May 29, 2002
Family and friends honored the memory of former Hood River Care Center resident Dottie Blake Friday afternoon during a ceremony dedicating the Center’s new deck.
The deck, constructed off the Center’s dining room, was made possible by $1,000 in Blake’s memorial fund, allocated to the Center by her husband John after Blake died in 2000.
John and Dottie’s four-year-old grandson Ian reclined on the deck as he waited for his chance to cut the ribbon.
“It’s been about four months from the project’s conception to this moment,” said Jonathan Blake as he ruffled his son’s hair. All three generations of Blakes currently reside in White Salmon.
The ribbon snipping met with applause by the 20 or so visitors.
“The deck is going to be wonderful for our residents,” said Care Center Administrator Cheryl Maitland. “They’re excited to be able to wheel right out from the dining room during the summer.”
The dedication preceded a barbecue and party coinciding with the Center’s employee appreciation day.
As the line formed for hamburgers, Ian crawled along a bench to his father and grandfather, and the three Blakes lounged in the shade and watched the Center visitors enjoy a beautiful afternoon on Dottie’s deck.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge