Wednesday, November 6, 2002
The results are in for the Hood River County General Election of Nov. 5. Two out of every three county voters cast ballots in the election: the unofficial turnout was 65.9 percent -- 7,072 votes out of 10,724 registered.Here are highlights -- official results will appear in the Nov. 9 edition of the Hood River News:
* Rick Metsger, who was declared the winner in the State Senate District 26 race, took 3,914 votes compared to 2,916 for Republican Bob Montgomery (57 to 42 percent.)
* Patti Smith, the winner in State House of Representatives, District 52, handily turned away Larry Cramblett, her Democratic challenger, 4,214 to 2,584 (62 to 37 percent.)
* Ted Kulongoski earned 3,635 votes to Kevin Mannix's 3,008 and Libertarian Tom Cox's 274 votes, a 52-43-4 percent split.
* U.S. Sen. Gordon Smith's 3,884 votes to Democratic challenger Bill Bradbury's 2,794 (56 to 40 percent) roughly matched the commanding statewide lead enjoyed by the Republican incumbent.
* U.S. Rep. Greg Walden also handily turned back Democratic challenger Peter Buckley, 4,773 to 2,017, or 69 to 29 percent. Libertarian Mike Wood had 119 votes, or 1 percent.
*Hood River Mayor Paul Cummings and Cascade Locks Mayor Roger Freeborn both ran unopposed: Cummings had 1,404 votes (95.4 percent) and Freeborn had 279 (89.4 percent.)
On the ballot measures, county voters said yes to 14 (racial references), 16 (59 percent), Measure 22 (judicial districts), 24 (denturists), and 26 (signature gathering).
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge