Tuesday, October 8, 2002
The messiest of art exhibits in First Friday took place in the evening shade of the City of Hood River administrative building.
Seventeen artists, mostly children, created pictures on the sidewalk in the second annual Chalk Art Contest Friday, sponsored by the Hood River Downtown Business Association and GorgeArts.
Artists had from 4 to 6:30 p.m. to complete their artwork, at Third and Oak streets. Judges Blue Ackerman, Jules Burton and Leila Prestia rated the artwork. Among adult artists, Shelley Toon Hight took first and Dayna Reed second.
In the 13-17-year-old category, Sergio Reyes took first and Jamie Parsons second.
In age 10-12, Alice Zanmiller placed first, followed by McKinley Kitts and Connal Rea. Among artists aged 6-9, Chloe Hight took first, Delaney Rea second and Ellie, Gracie and Miranda Starr third.
In the age 3-5 group, Callie Crumpacker was first and Russel Grim second. In the under 3 category, Maya Rayle took first.
Special awards go to Grace Grim — Cutest Animal; Sullivan Mackintosh — Most Happy Sun and Moon; Ellery Hight — Most Happy Dancing Pumpkin; and artist known only as “Sam, Jesse and Lucas” — Most Happy Day
Awards and prizes will be presented to all participants at the First Friday on Nov. 1. Please see photos, page B14.
“Thanks go to the City of Hood River for use of the sidewalk and the volunteer judges for their time,” said Joanie Thomson, Downtown Business Association director.
More like this story
- Fireworks: ‘Keep it safe, keep it legal’
- Youth mobile nutrition program returns at two Hood River locations
- County board slates $200K in Windmaster Plan for Airport
- ‘Stick to the Westside plan’
- Letters to the Editor for June 28
- Math in a Basket: a second grade teacher sees the connections
- Public Records: Building Records
- Find Your Park
- YESTERYEARS ‘Capacity crowd’ fills Hood River High School auditorium for Flag Day in 1947
- Sports briefs for June 28
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge