Monday, October 14, 2002
By RUBY BRUNK
Three new interns are working at the Hood River News this semester.
Canela Wood, Erik Hidle, and Ruby Brunk are all seniors at Hood River Valley High School. Wood will be working with government reporter RaeLynn Gill, Hidle with editor Kirby Neumann-Rea, and Brunk with feature writer Janet Cook. Previous student interns at the Hood River News have included Hannah Kingrey, Sarah Fix, Danny Rawson, and Chris Remer.
The Hood River Valley High School has been running a successful internship program for over 10 years, and the Hood River News has been a popular choice for many student interns.
“They get a great experience down there. The supervisors are very open, and let them do some of the work. They write articles, take pictures, are part of the staff,” said internship advisor John Vann.
A pleasant work environment and friendly staff are other reasons why the Hood River News is so popular with students.
“It’s nice working with RaeLynn because she’s honest, and she lets me work at my own pace,” Wood said.
“Everyone I work with is very supportive,” said Hidle.
Being an intern is a great way to explore a career field, meet new people, and prepare for your future. But most importantly, internship is fun. Brunk said, “I’m having a great time; the staff is nice, the work is interesting, and I get to be creative.”
Neumann-Rea said the interns have shown initative and talent in their first few weeks at the paper.
“The students are receptive to doing a variety of assignments, as well as to feedback on their work, and they have a teamwork attitude,” he said.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge